City Council Meeting Date:
Agenda Item Description:
Resolution to APPROVE a non-binding term sheet, REQUEST APPROVAL by the Virginia Beach Development Authority (VBDA) and AUTHORIZE the development of definitive project documents re Dome Site Project
I will be voting to approve the term sheet and I am fully in support of this project for several reasons:
1. This project will address flooding and road repairs in an area of the oceanfront that has long been neglected. The entire wave pool aspect of the development will double as a stormwater retention pond that will pull in water from the development and the surrounding areas.
2. We will be replacing boring parking lots with an entertainment venue capable of serving and attracting locals and tourists in the off-season. We have not had a large entertainment venue at the Oceanfront since the original Dome was torn down in 1994.
3. This project is headed by local developers who have promised to work hand in hand with the city to maximize the participation of local businesses, especially small, woman, and minority owned businesses, in the development process.
That being said, I have several requirements I would like to see in the final agreement before I give this project my final approval. I have discussed these with the developer and they have expressed openness and positivity towards all of them.
1. Specific contract set aside amounts for small, women, and minority owned businesses.
2. Use of local laborers and prevailing local wages to keep the economic benefits in Virginia Beach. I do not want them recruiting cheap labor from other states or using undocumented laborers.
3. Funding of a shuttle system for employees and patrons alike who live in underserved communities like the Baker Road/Newtown area. This could be done through HRT, the private sector, or non-profit organizations like faith based organizations and community groups.
4. Inclusion of small retail and restaurant spaces to be used as incubators for local small businesses to validate new retail and food concepts that can become a local draw and eventually grow into successful small and medium sized locally based businesses.